Sunday, June 14, 2015

Back to Boston, our last day

Descending the stairs at Emerson by the Sea Inn
My last moments by the ocean at Rockport 
Just another beautiful house along our route -- so many of these everywhere
This strangulation tickled my funny bone!
Meadow at Cox Reservation -- I love the expanses of greenery
Osprey cam (minus the bird) at Cox Reservation park
Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge
Déjà vu moment -- we've walked this street once before
Display of threads in a North End shop
Lightning storm over Wichita
* * * * * * * *


It must be time to leave.  I’m missing our firm mattress at home, and have been sleepless from soft spots on unfamiliar beds.

After breakfast in the dining room I went for a walk by myself on the Public Foot Path while Tien packed.  I didn’t go far, but it was a pleasure to climb rocks leading to the water's edge and sit high above the ocean.  I watched boats and scuba divers, but mostly it was pleasant under the overcast sky and to soak in the peaceful air.  Idyllic, calm and with a light breeze, I could do this regularly.  If we lived here, the rocks would be a favorite place, just like yesterday when we were at Halibut Point.  All good things must end and I went back to our room.

During checkout, the head of guest relations said the summer population peaks at 22,000; now it is ~10,000.  Today had cloud-cover and cool temperatures.  Our visit happened during Cape Ann's best weather.  I wonder what the rest of the year is like.  I think a storm would be exciting.

Road traffic to Boston was easy.   We passed antique stores in Essex.  There was a sign, Art in the Barn, a three-day affair where we stopped.  How I love an art festival!  It was held in Cox Reservation, a park named for artist Allyn Cox, in three buildings.  The first structure contained jewelry.  An artist I liked did beaded work in waves with texture and color.  I would love to learn her technique.  The goldwork of Donald MacLachlan’s topped any artful jewelry I’ve ever seen in 14k, 18k and 22k with cabochon gems.  His bracelets were large links.  I placed one around my wrist -- oh, $15,000!  When I pointed out another bracelet that appealed to me, he mentioned it was it his best piece, also saying, "That's the thing about good taste -- you can't turn it off."  I could afford his card and had to say goodbye to all his beautiful jewelry.  The largest barn held paintings.  The third barn had more things, but nothing stood out except for the potter who used sea glass in her work, mixing blues and greens.  I bought two small dishes and will give one to my friend Betsy.  The artists must pay a 50% commission to whatever organization they are supporting.  That's a lot to ask of artists and patrons.

We walked into the park, through woodland of wild roses and leafy trees, out to the water.  We saw the park's osprey nest with a camera, and later read that the osprey population is dwindling probably due to pesticides.


Traffic into Boston was easy.  The only hiccup was accidentally going back through the tunnel from which we just came after Google GPS pointed us to the wrong lane.  We paid the $3.50 fee (again) to get back into North End.  We walked a street that we were sure we had walked in 2012.  At Dino’s we ordered pasta and a chicken Caesar salad but unfortunately they were out of anchovies for my salad.  To Go:  A Dino's Special sandwich to go for our plane ride, with capicola, mozz and balsamic vinaigrette -- excellent sandwich.  Dessert at Caffé Vittoria was a few blocks away:  Coffee, cappuccino, hazelnut gelato and mint chip gelato (and a bathroom, yay).  Our server was a middle-aged ABC woman with a classic Boston accent – that really caught my ear.  On our way back to the car, there was a funeral service with a band playing and cops blocking off traffic.  We headed to the airport.  It's almost time to board.

No comments: