Thursday, June 11, 2015

Boston's Museum of Fine Arts

Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
Bead-net dress, Egyptian 2551–2528 BC
"Above beadnet dress was painstakingly reassembled from approximately seven thousand beads found in an undisturbed burial of a female contemporary of King Khufu. Although the string had disintegrated, a few beads still lay in their original pattern, permitting an accurate reconstruction."    
Egyptian cylinder seals with examples on the right
A particularly beautiful Egyptian cylinder seal, left, with example
MFA rotunda
Selfie with rotunda paintings by John Singer Sergeant
Dale Chihuly's Lime Green Icicle Tower in the American Cafe where I dined
Recently discovered daVinci drawing (circled) in his notebook
Mountain Ranges by Wu Jian'an, 2011 -- two of eleven panels
Close up of Mountain Ranges by Wu Jian'an -- yes, it's cut paper
One of my favorites because it's contemporary and traditional -- Literary Gathering by Hong Hao, 2007; look for the composer Tan Dun, Chinese art professor Wu Hung and artist Ai Weiwei.
Notice the needlework frame -- I want one of those!  The woman is depicted with bound feet.
Japanese armor, Edo period, 18th–19th century; metal (non-specific), lacquered iron and silk brocade 
I was fascinated by all the handwork.  The kumihimo braiding must have taken months to weave.
Undulation, woven by Monden Kogyoku in 2005, of Japanese timber bamboo.  Monden has remarked that he is "all thumbs -- that's why I have my own personal style."  If only I were all thumbs in his style!
A bracelet of gold, pearl, emerald, ruby and diamond, made by Simon Pettiteau, in France about 1830.  Museum caption says it was likely commissioned for the wife of a high-ranking officer of the French army.
Banner of Zhong Kui painted by Hokusai, color with ink on cotton, about 1805 -- a Boys' Day decoration
Hokusai's most famous print, Under the Wave off Kanazawa, aka Great Wave, about 1831-32
Hokusai painted scary things too, such as the Ghost of Kohada Koheiji.
The Ghost of Oiwa, a young housewife in the kabuki ghost play A Strange Tale of Yotsuya.  More scary. 
A Native American basket with the most perfectly finished edge
I love dragons.
The Kendall Hotel -- the original fire station building has arched windows.  New guest rooms of the hotel are in the modern six story building behind it.
* * * * * * * *

Now we’re in Boston, but it feels totally different from the last time I was here with Tien because we’re staying in Cambridge and it is right in the thick of things.

Tien went off to work and I planned on spending the day at the Museum of Fine Arts (“MFA”). I always have a little trouble initially with transit.  There were separate ticket machines for cash and for credit cards.  The cash machine kept asking for a destination code.  A woman nearby said it was easier to refill with a credit card and gave me her spare/empty Charlie Transit Card.  So nice!  The trip to the MFA was easy enough, although I did have a slight hiccup looking for the correct platform at the transfer point.

MFA admission is high, $25, with one additional entry within the next ten days. Even after more than six hours I didn't finish so I am going back tomorrow.  The museum is huge and there are a lot of exhibits.  I saw special exhibits of daVinci drawings, photos by Herb Ritts, Chinese furniture, Hokusai's numerous wood block prints, ancient Nubian jewelry, images of Chinese court ladies, courtesans, prostitutes or pin up girls, plus a nice exhibit of contemporary Chinese art that I loved.  From the permanent collection:  ancient world including Egypt (still drawn to it even after all we saw in Egypt, because MFA includes photos of how/where the items were found), Assyria, Mesopotamia, Roman, Greek etc., jewelry, musical instruments, Asian and Africa, Americas included Native American headdresses, baskets and beaded work, lots of ceramics from various cultures, etc.  There is still a whole 'nother half of the museum to see.  Glad they allow photos without flash!  During my lunch break I ate an egg and fruit in the courtyard at 4p.  It was 88F and the foliage and vines are populated with chirping birds, mostly finches sparrows and small blackbirds.  My hands were full:  purse, camera, iphone for taking notes, plus the ipod and headphones I paid extra to rent so I could listen to experts talk about selected items; good thing for coat check where I left my bag with sweater and stuff.  I had dinner at the MFA's New American Cafe:  roasted asparagus soup with creme fraiche and bacon, half chicken with mushrooms and artichokes.  Before leaving MA, I saw a Herb Ritts exhibit of photos and listened to a special concert by a Japanese woman who sang and played a shamisen.

I got onto the train without problems, but went the wrong direction at the connection.  I had to get off and ask someone how to get to the other side of the track.  Once I did, I was back after three stops.  I met Tien and his colleagues at a nearby bar, then headed back to our hotel by myself.  Bushed. 

No comments: