Tuesday, April 17, 2012

... and we're OFF!

Southern Africa, here we come. First stop, Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe; then Botswana for safari (camera, not guns); and Cape Town, South Africa.

Tien and I left San Diego on Monday, April 16 with his Mum and Dad. We drove to Los Angeles for our flight. I had on ten year old hiking boots that caused my feet to fall asleep every time we went hiking, but decided to be brave and weather the discomfort. Big mistake: They were falling asleep in the car. I blurted to Tien, "I'm hating my shoes." I got a very big "Ai yah!" response, but good sport that he is, he drove me to REI for a new pair. My new Keens are so fabulous that they felt like old friends the moment I put them on. During the entire trip, there was nothing to complain about. Tied loosely, they slipped off/on at airports.


We stayed overnight in LA because our flight Tuesday morning was quite early. Our stopover was at Dulles and the captain told everyone to look out the right side window for a view of the space shuttle atop the transport plane. What a bonus!


The next leg of the flight was really long. Seven hours to Dakar, Senegal to refuel, then eight hours to Johannesburg for another overnight. We wouldn't reach our first destination, Victoria Falls, until Thursday. I started getting excited about the trip when we woke up to this sunrise and, knowing we'd be meeting up with Tien's brother Kuan and wife Serene in just a few hours, our family vacation was about to begin.


To follow us on our journey, please sign up for email updates. It's far more practical than checking every day. I'm glad you're here with us!

1 comment:

Melissa Sass said...

You're soooooo lucky. I hope many, many, many pictures follow!